9 May 2011, Comments (11)

Luna Chocolate Dipped Coconut Bar

Author: Healthnuttxo

I’ve seen this bar in the stores for a little while now, but for some reason never picked it up. Finally, the opportunity came the other day when I was hungry and on-the-go, so I needed a little pick me up. This was perfect to satisfy me, and not slow me down with  my hectic schedule! That’s what I like about Luna Bars- they have protein and vitamins/minerals, but are also tasty and easy to eat. They don’t fall apart or get ruined if they end up being smooshed in the bottom of my bag, either. (;

I opened up the bar, I really love the design! Even a friend of mine said it was one of the “prettiest” bars she had seen from Luna. Here’s how it looked

There was a chocolate layer on the bottom, followed by the “soy” part, and then a light coconut topping. At first bite, I noticed it didn’t have that thick of the middle soy layer as the other bars do, and actually, I thought this bar was thinner than the other bars I have had in the past. I didn’t find it to be incredibly sweet, and I found the coconut flavor to be mild.

The bottom layer had a milk chocolate, slightly salty flavor. The coconut flavor was not overpowering or really overly noticeable at all, and had a sweet yet salty flavor. The top layer, had a white chocolate flavor, with coconut undertones. I thought it tasted similar to the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Bar. I also thought the coconut had a bit of an off flavor.

Overall, not bad. I do wish there was a more predominant coconut flavor. I also needed a glass of water to drink with this, as it has that “salty” flavor to it!  3 1/2 stars

Have you had this bar yet? What did you think?

1 bar is 190 calories, 7 grams of fat (4 saturated), 25 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 11 grams of sugar, and 9 grams of protein.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments (11) »

• christina says:

i liked this bar, but it’s not one of my favorites. it does have a weird texture.

• Rodzilla says:

I wish they would use whey crisps as opposed to soy.

• Healthnuttxo says:

@Christina I have to agree that it was good but not my favorite. @Rodzilla And yes, sometimes I think the soy is a bit overpowering!

• Ashley says:

So jealous right now as always of your reviews. 😉 I have been looking for that flavor to try and have yet to find it. Guess i’m not missing out on too much obviously.

• Healthnuttxo says:

hahha thanks Ashley! Yes, it was good, but not spectacular. Hopefully you can still get a chance to try one! 🙂

• Ashley says:

Maybe. I might just try to order a variety pack online that contains it. I normally don’t order online but I gave into the pb2 flour so i’ll probably give into this one along with chia seeds. ;P
    Have you had the peppermint chocolate flavor? I hate peppermint stuff but I tried one today and it tasted like peppermintbark 9the one peppermint thing I like). Soo good.

• Healthnuttxo says:

I haven’t actually! Im not a big fan of mint, so ive been hesistant to try that one. thanks for the tip tho, ill have to give it a try 🙂

• tea-bag says:

i loved this bar the first time i had it & then not so much after that.
    i like luna’s protein bars b/c they seem to be more dense & filling

• Healthnuttxo says:

agreed. the protein bars are quite tasty 🙂

• Katie says:

I wasn’t a big fan of this bar, I tried it by accident right as it came out. Mine had a kind of underwhelming coconut taste, you could taste more of the chocolate-y bottom.

I like the new Clif Bar’s coconut flavor though

• Healthnuttxo says:

ah, I tried that! the coconut chocolate chip. I agree, it was pretty tasty! I wanted to review it, but I had to eat it in such a hurry I didnt have time. Maybe in the future! 🙂